My personal blog as a 'grown-up' Goth and Romantic living in the Highlands of Scotland. I write about the places I go, the things I see and my thoughts on life as a Goth and the subculture, and things in the broader realm of the Gothic and darkly Romantic. Sometimes I write about music I like and sometimes I review things. This blog often includes architectural photography, graveyards and other images from the darker side of life.

Goth is not just about imitating each other, it is a creative movement and subculture that grew out of post-punk and is based on seeing beauty in the dark places of the world, the expression of that in Goth rock. It looks back to the various ways throughout history in which people have confronted and explored the macabre, the dark and the taboo, and as such I'm going to post about more than the just the standards of the subculture (Siouxsie, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, et al) and look at things by people who might not consider themselves anything to do with the subculture, but have eyes for the dark places. The Gothic should not be limited by what is already within it; inspiration comes from all places, the key is to look with open eyes, listen carefully and think with an open mind..

Saturday 25 July 2015

Vampire Prince In The Lost Garden

Or at least that's how I was imagining myself in these photographs. In reality I'm neither a prince nor a vampire, and this is actually that meadow close to my current apartment that I love posing in because it's such a pretty meadow (and I am such a vain Goth!). 

I will be moving soon (very soon) and will no longer have this lovely meadow to pose in so near by, but I am sure I will find somewhere equally pretty in my new location. All the photographs are by my partner Raven. The meadow is especially pretty now it is summer and the grass is long and the flowers in bloom. I specified this part of the meadow because of how much I like the shrubbery there.

Photograph by Raven

It was a day bordering on dreich; cloudy, overcast and dull, but not quite as damp and drizzly as a truly dreich day. The skies were grey and leaden and I like how Raven capitalised on that dreariness when it comes to both the photographs and the editing. I am really grateful to Raven for his photographs. 

Photograph by Raven

I am especially happy with my make-up this day. I did deep purplish red lipstick fading out concealer close to my skin tone for an effect I have seen done beautifully both on humans and on well-painted art dolls. I think I could have done even better had I made my lips dewy with some gloss, but as it stands, it still seems quite successful to me. I think I was a tad heavy-handed with blusher and contouring, but I am still new to it. The eye-shadow was in shimmery pinks - a completely alien concept to me - and I was aiming for a look that was somewhere between natural and a bit fey. 



Photograph by Raven

I really enjoy dressing in Ouji and Aristocrat fashion - with a Gothic take on such things, of course! Most of this outfit was second-hand; the trousers are from Primark originally, and I bought them in a charity shop for £2, the pirate boots were bought secondhand on eBay, the waistcoat is vintage Marks & Spencer and I bought it secondhand on eBay, the blouse is from ZanZea and was a Christmas/Solstice present from Raven - as was the cane (which comes in useful, what with my coordination disorder), and the only things I bought new were the necklace and the gloves, both from Claire's and the Jabot. The jabot I bought earlier this year, and I know I ordered it online, but I've actually forgotten where. I have a feeling it's handmade and either from Etsy or Ebay. 

12 comments:

  1. Ooh I love this! It works very well indeed - I'm especially impressed with the make-up (I haven't even dared to venture near to contoring). And Raven produces very nice photographs(and you make a fine model too haha :)). Good luck with the moving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am admittedly new to doing make-up for Ouji/Aristocrat fashion, and it is something I am quite unsure about. I am glad you like it :) Contouring is like some dark art of make-up and I feel like I'm dabbling in things that maybe I shouldn't :P I am always very happy with Raven's photography :)

      Delete
  2. You putting together this outfit is great! It looks absolutely amazing! <3

    PS. Love the depth the lipstick gives! <3

    unknownprettylies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, i really like your look, it´s different and very classy. Nice greetz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you :) There will be more Ouji/Aristocrat outfits to come :) I love dressing in this style.

      Delete
  4. Your outfits are always so gorgeous, and this one is no exception! The makeup is absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you :) The makeup got a bit of criticism in the Lolita community when I put it up on Closet of Frills because it was deemed quite cosplay-like (Levi from Attack on Titan was mentioned), even thought that wasn't what I was aiming for here. I'm still learning with Ouji make-up, so when people say it's good I'm very chuffed :)

      Delete
  5. awesome pictures, hope you will find such a pretty spot again near your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a really nice big field near my new house, and some trees and a stream near my house, so that is all good :) I have taken some pictures today in my new garden.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic makeup! And of course tge wig, outfit, all awesome! I definitely love the Victorian dandy/ ouiji look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be more photos like these coming :) It's a style I will probably be wearing in some form or other to University quite a bit as it means trousers, no bell sleeves, and I get to wear sensible boots with it.

      Delete

Please be polite and respectful. Comments containing gratuitous swearing and insults will be deleted.