My personal blog as a 'grown-up' Goth and Romantic living in the Highlands of Scotland. I write about the places I go, the things I see and my thoughts on life as a Goth and the subculture, and things in the broader realm of the Gothic and darkly Romantic. Sometimes I write about music I like and sometimes I review things. This blog often includes architectural photography, graveyards and other images from the darker side of life.

Goth is not just about imitating each other, it is a creative movement and subculture that grew out of post-punk and is based on seeing beauty in the dark places of the world, the expression of that in Goth rock. It looks back to the various ways throughout history in which people have confronted and explored the macabre, the dark and the taboo, and as such I'm going to post about more than the just the standards of the subculture (Siouxsie, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, et al) and look at things by people who might not consider themselves anything to do with the subculture, but have eyes for the dark places. The Gothic should not be limited by what is already within it; inspiration comes from all places, the key is to look with open eyes, listen carefully and think with an open mind..

Saturday 1 February 2014

Terrible Vanity (And Advice Request)

What is vainer than a post (nearly) entirely of selfies? 
I do actually have a reason for posting all of these selfies. As many of you know I am foraying into the world of Gothic Lolita fashion. One part I am struggling with is learning how to accessorise my hair and wigs. I've tried bows and clips before, and mini-hats, but I haven't as yet got the hang of wearing those in a way that really works and doesn't look tacky. One thing I have got quite fond of, and seem to be able to do quite well (I hope!?), is decorate my hair with fabric flowers.


These flowers are a mix of ones I've picked up in charity shops, and ones from Claire's Accessories and H&M. The two black roses I use to keep the front of my wig from sweeping and drooping in-front of my face are from H&M - they were very cheap compared to Claire's Accessories, which I think charges over-the-odds for fabric flowers by comparison. One of my big fabric black roses (the one I was wearing as a corsage on my dress... I think) was from Poundland. As far as accessories go, these ones are pretty darn cheap, which is appealing to me as I am on quite a small budget.


Lolita fashion is known for having quite elaborate hair decorations these days, and as this is not something I have done before as a part of Goth fashion, I am struggling. I've posted one of these selfies up to the Lolita Fashion Mentoring community on FaceBook, but I feel like it might be useful for me to open it up to a wider audience. Please provide feedback as to what could be done better, and what works as it is. I am finding it hard to judge what is too much ornament, enough ornament, or not enough ornament for the style. Compared to some other Lolitas, I feel underdone. I don't want to wear as many decorations as an OTT Sweet Lolita, because that's just not the style I am aiming for. 


The wig itself is from Lockshop, but I bought it secondhand from my friend Laura Sheridan (check out her awesome photography ::here::). It's the same colour red as my other previously-curly and now straightened red wig. It only looks like pale wine here because of the awful lighting in my bathroom as it was too dingy in the hall to take photos in the mirror I usually use. The wig has had the fringe trimmed, but otherwise I am not really wanting to style it further because I don't want to ruin the curls, which is what lead me to straightening my other red wig out entirely. 

 

Outfit Rundown: Wig: Lockshop, via Laura Sheridan. ♛ Hair Flowers: Claire's Accessories, H&M & thrifted 
Blouse: Tesco (other Lolitas may want to note that F+F is the abbreviation for both Fan + Friend and the Florence + Fred range at Tesco!) 
 JSK: Baby, The Stars Shine Bright ♛ Gloves: Claire's Accessoires ♛ Roses bracelet: H&M ♛ Bangle bracelet: thrifted.

I am looking for any suggestions and advice on better and alternative ways to style the wig and flowers, and for any good online tutorials for Lolita hair/wig decorations, especially those for Gothic Lolita style. Thank-you in advance for contributions. 

10 comments:

  1. This nice thing about Gothic Lolita is that it's much more acceptable to have minimally adorned hair. If you're finding that you do want to work a mini hat in, try arranging the fabric flowers around it - it's something you sort of have to build up.

    Also, if you're into hats - make them your best friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not hugely into hats, but I am thinking of getting into bonnets, especially velvet ones. I think they might help disguise some of the unnatural-looking crowns on some of the wigs I have.

      Delete
  2. I think you look fantastic! I have only recently got into Lolita style, and only have a couple of pieces, mostly black and white. While I often do a lot of plaited fancy hairdos, I don't really know how to do good Gothic Lolita hair and am not particularly good at adorning my hair with clips, etc. I do have a massive collection of largeish flower clips I never use and a cool black velvety mini top hat my friend made me.

    I do agree with akumakami that you probably don't have to go too overboard, it's mostly only OTT Lolita that seem to have hair encrusted with every sort of thing. GLs often seem to have one thing. A round cannotier with some flowers, lace and a bow and sometimes a veil seems to be quite common. My friend, Yasmin, who made me the top hat also taught me to make them, so I have two now. Argh, now I really want to go to another Lolita meet so I can try out my Gothic Lolita looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my wardrobe is either black or white. I've got a couple of purple and red things, but very little of anything I own, regardless of Goth, work clothes, Gothic Lolita, is not black or white. Even white things are in the minority.

      That's really cool that your friend showed you how to make hats :)

      Delete
  3. I have the exact same issue with (Gothic) Lolita, I'm just not used to wearing many hair accessories at all, I wouldn't even know where to start. Those flowers are a really good idea, you look great and the wig suits you very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou - this red wig is my favourite, and I'm trying really hard to look after it.

      Delete
  4. Well, honestly, the swarm of hair accessories is what I like the least about(gothic) lolita. I think, a couple of flowers or a hat is more, than enough, a bunch of randomly placed hairclips, silly, little veils and candy bead thingies are...plain cheesy. I don't think your hair would be underdone. In fact, I think it's rather elegant for a lolita look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to look like my hair has just had my accessory bowl poured over it, but at the same time, I don't want it to be underdone. I'm glad you think I've got the balance about right :)

      Delete
  5. You look gorgeous! Quite a lot of people who try and enter into the transition of changing styles end up doing it quite badly. From what I can see, you've got it down to a tee! Your wig doesn't look tacky and you make it look very natural. I look forward to seeing more of your fashion posts! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to do quite a bit of research, looking at how others have done things I find aesthetically pleasing, reading advice and tips blogs, as I didn't want to get it too far wrong. As a babybat, I sucked quite terribly at being Goth, I didn't want to end up an "Ita" with this transition.

      Delete

Please be polite and respectful. Comments containing gratuitous swearing and insults will be deleted.